- Give an example of when you last made a quick and definitive decision.
- On which decision did you deliberate longest? Tell me about it?
- What was the last business decision you faced?
- How long did it take for you to make up your mind about what to do?
Competency: Self confidence
- Describe a situation where you demonstrated confidence in your viewpoint despite opposition.
- Describe a time when you had to trust your own judgment to make a difficult decision.
- Describe a situation when you worked without any guidance in an unusual situation.
- Tell me about a time when you had to act quickly in order to take advantage of a limited opportunity, but were unable to consult with others.
- Describe an incident in which you took matters into your own hands although it should have been handled by your boss.
- What are the limits of your authority in your job? Have you ever gone over those limits?
- When have you taken a stand against a group on what you felt to be a matter of principle?
- What conflicts of interest have you experienced or could you experience in your present role? How have you/would you resolve these?
Competency: Working under pressure
- Describe the last time you felt upset or angry at work.
- Describe a time when you had to work under a high degree of pressure.
- Describe an example of when you had to work to an important deadline.
- Provide an example when you had to adapt your approach due to shifting priorities.
- What are the two most different approaches you have used when “selling” ideas to clients/colleagues?
- If you had a project to manage how would you decide how to approach it?
- When might you use a different or modified approach?
- How do you ensure compliance with company policy within your own area of responsibility?
- Tell me about a time when you have consciously gone against company procedures. Why did you do that? What happened?
- Describe a time when you were required to shift your stance on an issue in response to a changing situation.
- Within your present job, what have been the most significant changes in, say, the last year? How have you dealt with these?
- Describe a situation where you successfully overcame a setback in order to achieve an objective or meet a deadline.
- Describe s situation where you have submitted a good idea to your superior and he or she did not take action on it? What did you do.
Competency: Risk management
- Provide an example of when you identified the key risks inherent within a situation.
- Tell me about some risks you have taken in your business or professional life. How did you go about this?
Back to Competency Based Interviews